- Detailed profiles
- Fast signup
- Visible verification
- Serious relationships
- Safe platform regardless of race
- Small audience
- No mobile app for iOS
- Some fake profiles
- Who uses it?:18+, Singles of African-American descent as well as individuals from other racial backgrounds seeking serious relationships with black partners
- How many users?:350,000+ members
- Features to help you match:Photos, Location, Age, Lifestyle, Background/Cultural values, Education, Occupation
- Mobile access:Yes
- Pricing:Free, Gold Membership, Platinum Membership, Diamond Membership
- Free version:Yes
BlackCupid (BC) is a niche dating platform for African Americans seeking love, while also catering for other people looking for interracial relationships. Using the platform, you may build a special bond with someone, that can last a lifetime, or just have a good time speaking to someone who shares your values and way of life. Black singles and other people from across the globe use the site, and we were keen to discover what makes it different and valuable.
BlackCupid belongs to Cupid Media, a company that owns 33 niche dating websites, so the brand has great experience in the industry. But we understand black singles have unique requirements when it comes to dating.
To assist you in finding the best dating service, we’ve explored BlackCupid’s availability, the quality of matches, and the features that aid its members in choosing someone to date and even love. Read our comprehensive review to decide whether BlackCupid has the features and dating pool that you need to find your soulmate online.
🎖️ Overall BlackCupid Rating
Short on Time?
BlackCupid is a platform focused on dating services for Afro-Americans and those who are in search of interracial dating. Long-term relationships and marriages are the priority, though there are members who don’t mind having fun with friendly chatting and online flirting.
Users can join BlackCupid on their PC, laptop, or any Android mobile device. The onboarding is quick and simple, and you can join in a few minutes. After registration, you start as a Standard user with a limited set of matchmaking options. To broaden your opportunities, you can upgrade your profile and select one of the three available paid memberships.
- User experience: BlackCupid offers traditional methods of online dating and communication. Its members can view other user profiles, send likes and messages, and participate in live chats.
- Demographics: The average age of BlackCupid users is between 35 and 42, but there are many people younger and older too. The ratio of males to females is 81% to 19%.
- Security: BlackCupid uses multiple security measures to let its members feel safe. Newcomers must verify their profiles with a photo ID. The site and the mobile app use two-factor authentication.
- Feature richness: The platform caters to serious daters seeking true love, as is clear from many tools that serve this goal. Although other market leading dating sites have even more features, there are sufficient options to help users find each other, know each other better, and make sound decisions on IRL dating.
✅ What We Like
- Informative profiles: BlackCupid members can share a lot about themselves, including their location, appearance, background, hobbies, interests, and tastes. So, the users can easily narrow their search and identify individuals with a high likelihood of being a good match.
- Quick registration: The BC onboarding process takes no more than 2–3 minutes because only basic information is needed to sign up.
- Verified profiles: We appreciate the clear identification of user profiles that passed verification. The special badge, displayed next to their pictures, makes other members feel safe and confident when they get in touch with these users.
- Safe platform for seeking serious connections: BlackCupid caters to individuals seeking true love and serious dating. The number of scammers or individuals intending to deceive others is luckily limited.
- Availability: Though BlackCupid is mainly for African Americans, people of any race can join it. This inclusive and open-minded approach as part of the website’s setup is great, as love has no color.
❌ What We Didn’t Like
- Small user base: There are just 300,000 members on this site. Here, daily activity isn’t as high as on other popular platforms like eHarmony or PositiveSingles, for example. However, many users find this small community atmosphere more intimate.
- Android mobile app only: The iOS mobile version is unavailable for many Cupid Media products, as is the case with BlackCupid, unfortunately.
- A few fake accounts: Though moderators do a lot to sweep the profile of suspicious profiles, there are still male scammers who pose as women to troll other BC members.
|User Base Size and Diversity
|Age, Gender, Interests, Appearance
|Ease of Use and Interface
|Safety and Privacy Features
|Safety features: ID verification
Privacy features: Hide profile
|Price and Subscription Options
One month: $24.98
Three months: $16.66 per month
12 months: $8.33 per month
One month: $29.98
Three months: $20 per month
Twelve months: $10 per month
|Mobile App Availability
|Cancellation and Refund Policy
|Community and Social Aspects
💰 BlackCupid Pricing
BlackCupid is a useful platform for those hoping for free dating sites that really work. Even if you don’t pay, you get access to many features. You can:
- View all profiles from search results
- Filter your search by various criteria
- Like other users’ profiles.
- Send messages to paid users
If these features aren’t sufficient, you can explore BlackCupid’s paid membership plans. The prices are relatively low compared to some other dating sites and apps.
|1 Month Gold Membership
|3 Months Gold Membership
|12 Months Gold Membership
|1 Month Platinum Membership
|3 Months Platinum Membership
|12 Months Platinum Membership
|1 Month Diamond Membership
|3 Months Diamond Membership
|12 Months Diamond Membership
Choose a membership based on your budget and goals.
|Send and receive unlimited messages to all users
|Engage in instant chat with members
|Hide your profile and photos from other users
|Appear above other members in search results
|Automatically translate messages
|Expand your profile space to provide more information about yourself
|Access mutual and reverse matching algorithms
|Be at the top in the search results and in the inbox of members that you’ve chatted with
|Diamond icon next to the main photo in your profile
|Access premium 24/7 customer service
Important tip: The system automatically renews the subscription. However, you will receive a notification 10 days before the renewal date. So, you have enough time to decide whether you want to continue with the subscription or cancel it.
📱 BlackCupid on Mobile
BlackCupid has a mobile application for Android devices. When we tested it, we found smart design elements and it’s easy to navigate thanks to the linear format for displaying search results. All the platform’s key options are accessible, including:
- Profile updating
- Photo upload
- Searching for matches
- Membership upgrades
However, it was a disappointment to discover the absence of the BlackCupid mobile app for iOS devices. To join the Afro-American singles community using your iPad or iPhone, use the mobile version of the website. It still navigates easily, and pages display well.
🤔 How to Use BlackCupid
Quick onboarding is a key benefit of all Cupid Media products, and BlackCupid is no exception. The sign-up will take you just a few minutes. All the steps are obvious, and the instructions are clear. So, you can feel confident when you start your BC journey!
Many users like the simple and fast registration on BlackCupid, and we agree. To join the BC community, you just do the following:
- Open the Black Cupid home page and click on “View Singles Now” in the center of the page.
- Then, a registration form will appear. Insert your first name, your gender, the gender of the person you are looking for, your email address, and your password.
- Again, click on the “View Singles Now” button.
- Upload at least one photo. Please observe the requirements of the platform, as the moderator may decline your image if it doesn’t meet them.
This is all you need to register and get access to the Black Cupid user base. Now, you can browse through other members’ profiles, like them, and receive signs of interest from daters around the world. For many users, this is sufficient, as you can chat if someone likes your photo.
However, to stand out and attract more attention to your profile, complete it by writing more about yourself, such as adding your interests. The profile design helps you do this efficiently:
- Describe yourself in the profile section: You can provide your location and appearance details, including height, weight, body type, eye, and hair color. Also, you may specify your ethnicity, occupation, pets, living situation, and background.
- Set your match criteria: There is an appropriate section where you can define your preferred matches by age, location, lifestyle, background, and appearance.
- Express your interests: Define your preferences in terms of various lifestyle details, including hobbies, food, music, and sports.
Additionally, you can pass the verification process to show you’re trustworthy and so attract more engagement from other users. The system will require you to download a photo of your photo ID, such as a national ID card, a passport, or your driver’s license. If verification is successful, a special verification badge will appear in your profile, and other users will see you as a reliable potential match.
BlackCupid provides plenty of opportunities to find your love, even if you are a free member. Similar to other international dating sites, you can see who has viewed your profile, favored it, and sent likes to you. There are the following options for users to meet someone special:
- Online members: The “Online” section is a good choice if you prefer not to set search criteria and want to connect with new people immediately. You can browse members or filter them by gender, age, country, city, and even distance from you. Since these individuals are online at that moment, you’re more likely to get a quick reply and start chatting.
- Search: This tool helps you narrow down your choices and have a chance to find a soulmate according to a wide range of preferences. Remember that Gold, Platinum, and Diamond members are prioritized in search results. Pay attention to them, as even free users can initiate dialogue with these individuals.
- My Matches: This free option allows you to see users who suit you according to the preferences you specified when filling out your profile. You can order them by relevance, last active, or photos.
- Mutual and Reverse matches: These options to find interesting people are available to premium members only. “Mutual matches” means that you both match each other’s criteria, while “Reverse matches” indicate that you match their preferences.
- CupidTags: If you’ve ever used InternationalCupid, you may be familiar with this feature. It helps find like-minded people and operates similarly to social media hashtags. However, you don’t need to place a ‘#’ sign before the interests or topics you pick. Words and phrases like “Relationship”, “Caring”, “Funny”, “Looking for friends” can help find compatible profiles.
Communicating with Matches
We liked the swift and convenient communication options available for BlackCupid users. See which of them are available according to your membership status:
- Likes: Both free and paid members can send likes to users to draw their attention and motivate further communications. Premium users may prefer this option, especially if you’re a bit shy. For free daters, it is the only way to show their interest to any user on the site (standard users or persons who have paid membership).
- Messages: Free members can send messages to premium membership owners right after registration, but not to other free members. Premium members can send to anyone. Click on the appropriate icon near the user’s image to say hello and start a conversation.
- Live Chat: Live talks provide a sense of involvement and let the users know each other better. Again, instant messenger chat is available for paid membership.
BlackCupid is open to people around the globe, and we value the auto-translation feature the site and the app provide. It helps to break down language barriers, enhancing mutual understanding. With this tool, your dating experience becomes enriching, as you can communicate with people from other cultures and countries.
Optimize Your BlackCupid Experience
Although the BlackCupid audience is smaller, especially when compared to industry giants like Plenty of Fish or Zoosk, we like the sense of community that a smaller user base provides. Nevertheless, you still want the best chance at standing out and finding love, so we’ve explored the platform’s perks and have some helpful tips for you:
- Fill out your profile: The more you write about yourself, the higher your chances are to find like-minded members and enjoy communication. It’s always more engaging to connect with someone who shares your tastes and views, but others won’t know about yours unless your profile showcases enough details about you.
- Provide quality photos: BlackCupid sets some requirements on users’ photos that include good lighting, showing your face, and no nudes. The other recommendations concerning showing your figure or an image showing you doing something you enjoy are optional. However, we noticed that these types of photos attract more users.
- Reach the Top: Maximize the benefits of your premium membershipand let other members see your photo first on their search pages. Also, you can try VIP Profile Highlighting which means your profile gets a different background and label. All these features increase the odds of you getting noticed.
👥 General User Experience
We find the BlackCupid desktop version to be very user-friendly, boasting a vivid and welcoming interface without unnecessary bells and whistles. The menus are clearly visible and easy to operate. The platform opts for a traditional grid layout to display search results, which makes it easy to browse, see basic details and pick matches you may like.
The mobile version and Android-supported app of Black Cupid are equally appealing. They retain all the options and efficiently help you manage your dating life from the palm of your hand. The only drawback is the lack of an iOS mobile application, but we hope that Cupid Media will fix it someday.
🔐 User Safety & Security
BlackCupid does a great job of keeping its users safe and secure. The platform provides SSL encryption for all transactions users make. The list of safety measures also includes:
- Two-factor authentication: The members must provide their usernames and passwords when signing in. If you change your entry device, the system also asks for verification via an SMS code.
- Human photo verification: BlackCupid moderators view each photo before making it visible on the platform, to make sure it comes from a reliable user.
- Profile verification: Users can undergo verification to showcase the seriousness of their intentions. For this, you must upload scans of documents and if fully verified, your profile will receive a badge as proof.
- Regular profile review: The platform applies advanced algorithms and machine learning technology to detect suspicious profiles and terminate them.
Also, the BC members can take some actions to protect themselves. For example, the dating site recommends creating a separate email for using the service and communicating with verified users.
☎️ Customer Support
Black Cupid doesn’t have live chat support like MillionaireMatch and some other dating sites have. However, you can still try three options to contact the BC support team:
- Phone calls: The contact number depends on your location.
- Emails: You can send a letter describing your problem to [email protected]
- By Post: You may send a letter to BlackCupid support. Make sure to include your details, so they can check your profile and provide relevant feedback.
We found BlackCupid support to be highly responsive. When calling, we managed to connect within a couple of minutes. As for email, the response appeared in our inbox within half an hour.
🎖️ How Does BlackCupid Compare?
BlackCupid is a highly tailored dating service, and we want to see how it performs in comparison to another niche platform. This is why we decided to compare BlackCupid and SeniorMatch both unique dating platforms but from different companies.
Obviously, as communicated by the name, SeniorMatch prioritizes the age of users; its members must be at least 40. BlackCupid doesn’t set any special age restrictions except for the typical 18.
Though BC is a service mostly for African Americans, users of any other race can join the community. SeniorMatch has a wide demographic in terms of race, as anyone is welcome here too.
The other considerable differences and similarities include:
- Prevalence: You can join both Black Cupid and SeniorMatch in over 180 countries around the world.
- Availability on mobile: The BlackCupid mobile app is for Android users only, while SeniorMatch members can download its app on both Android and iOS devices.
- Goals: Both platforms provide opportunities for serious dating and long-lasting relationships.
|African-American singles looking for love and friendship around the world
|Older singles looking for love or companionship worldwide
|1 million users/month
|Yes – Email, Phone number, and ID verification
|Yes – Email and Image verification
🏆 Final Verdict: Is BlackCupid Right for You?
BlackCupid serves as a valuable dating platform for African-American singles seeking serious relationships, and for individuals of any race interested in dating black partners. If you are looking for long-term relationships and meaningful connections, you’ll find its site and its mobile app very convenient and user-friendly. The platform provides all the necessary features for quick matches and successful communication. Notably, with over 80% of members being male, women have excellent chances of finding someone special.
Yes, we consider the small audience and absence of the iOS mobile version a bit challenging. However, you can still try out BlackCupid as there are success stories, so it serves its purpose. Also, numerous reviews from BC users further affirm our good opinion of this platform.
Does BlackCupid offer free services?
Yes, you can become a free BlackCupid member and get access to the key functions of the platform. You can view user profiles, send likes to anybody, and chat with paid members. Feel free to try a paid membership any time you feel you want more ways of communicating.
Where can you access BlackCupid?
Cupid Media products are available in over 190 countries. Though the BC audience is not as big as InternationalCupid, another family dating service, many quality singles give you more chances to find your true love. You can access the platform via your PC or mobile phone.
Is BlackCupid safe for online dating?
Thanks to several ways of profile verification and regular profile tracking, BlackCupid is safer than many dating sites. For example, BC users must pass two-factor authentication and human photo verification, and the platform applies advanced algorithms and machine learning to detect and terminate suspicious profiles.
Is BlackCupid for hookups or serious dating?
BlackCupid is a smart choice if you seek long-term relationships, serious dating, or just to flirt online a little. However, if you are looking for hookups or casual dating, it would be better to try dating services where there are more users with the same goal, like Tinder.
Can you browse BlackCupid if you don’t have an account?
Only registered members have access to the BlackCupid user base. You must sign up to get access to all the profiles and all the other matchmaking options.